December 30, 2014

2014: A year of DIY

In the past year my hobbies have grown out of control to say the least. Being a new homeowner and planning a wedding only made it worse. Here are some of my favorite projects from the past year.

Burlap Spring Wreath
A trip to Micheal's Craft store to buy: Foam wreath, Burlap ribbon, lace ribbon, gingham ribbon, and faux flowers. The "Spring" sign is a simple banner put together using MS word, or just browsing Pinterest for free banner printables. Hot glue it all together with a twine string in the back for hanging and it's ready for the front door.

Primitive throw pillows
Using this tutorial - Easy DIY sewing Pillow case and a trip to JoAnn's fabric to pick up: Homespun fabric and 2 pillow forms.

Primitive kitchen canisters
Our kitchen isn't that big and I don't want to clutter up the counter space we have with big, bulky baking canisters so with some left over mason jars from our wedding along with left over fabric from my pillows I put together these simple primitive canisters. Signs were made using kraft paper found in the scrapbooking aisle and MS Word.

Repurposed Pallet wood sign
When we first moved into our home the previous home owners left behind some things that ended up being very useful to us, such as pallets in the basement. My husband cut up some pieces for me, screwed them together and here we have a rustic frame. I printed out some photos, made a chalkboard sign and it became the perfect Mother's day gift.

Liquor bottle tiki torches
My dad loves his Captain Morgan (and so does my husband) so when the bottles were empty and cleaned out this became my ideal Father's day gift. All you need is torch fluid, tiki torch wicks (all found at Lowes or Home Depot) and washers.

Office chair makeover
My husbands office chair that's probably on it's last leg has become the chair for my craft room, but it needed a girlish touch. Again, a trip to JoAnn's fabric for the fabric you see above. We disassembled the chair (you can find so many tutorials on this on pinterest) and using my new favorite tool the staple gun I got to work recovering this hideous office chair. 

DIY coat racks
When we first moved in our "Coat Closet" which is the walk way the leads to our basement had this plastic yellow coat racks that looked like they belonged in a daycare. The boards we used are OAK, but you can go with whatever works for you, different wood gives off a different look when stained and I wanted something rustic. Once the stain was dry we screwed on some bronze hooks (from Home Depot) and attached to the wall.

DIY sonogram ornament
This is probably my favorite DIY project yet. With the arrival of our sweet baby girl coming in April I wanted to start off her ornament collection a little early. Using old dollar store clear ornaments I added in epsom salt (or you could use the fake snow stuff, but this is all I had at the time) then on MS Word I resized my sonogram pictures to about 1 inch, printed them out and used packing tape as laminate.


1 comment:

  1. I really like the pallet sign, the tiki torches, and last but definitely not least, your sonogram ornament! Congrats!!!

    visiting from Blogging Buddies

    ReplyDelete